Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Memory Lane


It's funny, this is. I remember when I was younger (I'm 22, so not that long ago!!!) when everybody drooled at the sight of an XR4x4 (well I did!). It was a real hooligan's car, really macho. I mean, who'd heard of an engine bigger than a 2.0 (and not diesel, and not the Rover SD1!!!) in a family hatchback?! This is what appealed I think, it was almost maverick, bringing 'power' to the masses. So let's look over the spec: 2.9 OHV V6 putting out 150 bhp @ 5700 rpm, and 172 lb/ft @3000 rpm (according to carfolio.com). 150 bhp? Now think about this: my present car (Saab 9-5 2.0 'Eco'power) also produces 150 bhp. From a 2.0 engine!!!! The Accord Type-R can produce 212 bhp from a 2.2 engine, without any turbo, supercharger, anything. Purely naturally aspirated!!!! It's just when you think about the cars of yesteryear, how butch they seemed, and how quick they were, and yet, we're squeezing nearly 150 bhp out of little 1.5 engines ( and if you don't believe me, Mitsubishi Colt CZT :-D). It's amazing. But makes you think doesn't it...why did we rave about such cars!?!??! What made them so great? I guess it's a nostalgic thing though, it must be. As I go back to my 309 (see 'My First Car' post), I loved driving it! That's when I really enjoyed driving. And that was the secret I think. Those cars made you feel great, because the whole experience, of being scared, not knowing if you'd get back home in one piece, and just playing around made it all worth while! Yeah you can have your 250 bhp hatches (Mazda 3 MPS), but they're so well controlled and efficient, that you think, it's just missing that 'thing', the 'golden touch', almost. Those days are gone. What a shame...

No comments: