Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Which Car Should I Get?

I have a dilemna. Not a life threatening one, but one that I want solving. And to be happy with the decision. Here it is: changes in my 'situation' mean that I am soon going to be requiring a car that is much more economical than the one I presently own. This will involve a 200 mile round trip each month to Hertfordshire, and possibly a 20-mile round trip to work each day. What I want from the car is: Economy (of course!). Safety. Durability. Enough 'oomph' to get past dawdlers and lorry drivers. And finally, something that'll be fairly cheap!!!! My budget will be no more than £1500, that's where the difficulty comes in I guess. I've singled out three in particular: a VW Golf TDI Mk3 (apparently, does 50mpg round town and 58 mpg on the motorway, according to wisebuyers.co.uk!!!!), a Mondeo 1.8 TD, or an Audi A4 1.9 TDi. I've been in love with Golfs since day 1, and the economy figures speak for themselves; it's that to which my heart points. But Mondeos do tend to be cheaper, and I rather have a soft spot for the Mondeo, I think they're great cars. Cheap parts too I'd imagine. And the Audi is shortlisted because it's such a classy motor, and you can't argue with Teutonic build quality - it's fantastic, to say the least. So people, I ask your opinion: what should I get? Any other suggestions are welcome, because although I've shortlisted three cars, I would, of course, look at something else if there's a very good case for it! Cos I'm reasonable :-D Thanks again.

No comments: