Friday, February 16, 2007

My First Car

What was your first car? And do you reckon it's the best car you've ever owned? To me, it's the only car I've truly loved!! (apart from the Merc :-D) My first car was a '91 H-reg Peugeot 309 1.6 GL. I saw it in the Evening Post for £100, and the old biddy who sold it me let me have it for £50 as it was nearly out of tax, and wanted to help me that way. Great!!!! So with the eagerness of a fat bloke in a patisserie, I got in and drove away. And stalled! Think it was the adrenaline. Or the fact that the needle on the petrol gauge pointed very downwards indeed....made or a very entertaining journey home!!! I loved that car though, it was great. Racing people off lights, it breaking down almost every time I got in it, and the final chapter on that amazing saga was the MOT revealing corroded brake pipes at the back, amongst other things. Cost? £350...made no sense, so I px'd it in for a Peugeot 405 1.9D 'Style' - how ironic - and got back......£50!!!!!!!!! How good am I!!!! Managed to flog some old trees, coat hangers, and some boots that I'd left in the boot too. And so ended the most enjoyable 4 weeks of my motoring life. Yes I've had more reliable cars since, and yes, the Saab is much better than that first car. But nothing has compared to that car for sheer enjoyment.....when I will feel that joy again, I don't know, but I long for those days again!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well mine was a Volvo 440 GLEi. Why? Because everyone else was buying 1.1 Fiesta's and paying loads of insurance. This was a 1.7 for just a few pounds more insurance. Cool! Also had power steering, heated seats, (slow) electric windows and decent rear legroom.

Problem was, the day before I was due to pick it up it was broken into and had the radio stolen (wires cut with scissors). Well I can't even say broken into cos they left it open! So I spent many a Saturday afternoon trying to figure out how to re-wire another stereo, with about 20 bare wires to play with. At one point the radio aerial button worked the windscreen wipers, but we got there in the end!

Another time I parked it close to a brick wall at the back, opened the boot and wham - it hit the wall. Then I discovered it was jammed against the wall and couldn't open or close, so I had to move the car forward to close the boot! (Oops)

Vital stats: Top speed achieved: 106mph, top 0-62 time about 9 seconds. Miles achieved from a FULL TANK of petrol: 160-180. It is because of this last statistic that it is probably now a cube.

dre said...

I remember that car, I thought it was great!!! But apart from the fuel economy it went pretty quick for an old car I thought :-D Thank goodness petrol cars are more economical now...wonder if they'll catch up with diesels???? Now there's an interesting subject for debate! Thanks for the comment Dave.